Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our visit from the Paramedics!

Today after lunch, Halle was eating some candy she received from a birthday party. I was in the other room and heard her start to scream/cry really strangely. I thought that maybe she had swallowed a tortilla chip wrong, but she started saying that a gumball was stuck. I rushed her to the sink and half-heartedly tried to do the Heimlich. I didn't think it would help, because I could tell that she was still breathing. She then started to throw up, but said it was still stuck in her throat.
I tried to get in touch with Rod and also tried to call the pediatrician. They were both out to lunch! After finally getting in touch with Rod, he said to take her to the hospital. I determined that might be impossible, since she was pretty hysterical and still throwing up! I hesitated to call 911, because she was still breathing, but I really did not know what to do. Right before they arrived, Halle swallowed the gumball and her disposition changed drastically. I called 911 but the paramedics were walking up to the house already. Talk about FAST! They came in and checked her vitals and said her oxygen levels and heart rate were right on.
The paramedics were great. When Halle heard they were on the way, she started freaking out (in between the throwing up) that she didn't want to go with them! When they left, she looked at me and said "They didn't hurt me at all!" Isn't it amazing what the mind of a child will come up with even when under a lot of stress!
I truly am grateful for the way this turned out. Although Halle says her chest still really hurts, things could be a lot worse! I am thankful for great public servants who will be there for our community, no matter how big or small our crisis. I am grateful for super neighbors who would drop everything to help me out (Thanks Lisa) and are always checking on me to see if I need anything (Thanks Hillary)! You guys are great!!
I thought about asking if I could take a picture of Halle with the paramedics, but was too embarrassed, so we did the next best thing and took a picture of their ambulance! Crazy, I know, but I had to be able to prove it to the boys somehow!!

I think they had a least 3 different vehicles here! People kept coming in and out of the house at first!

You can tell Halle has been crying and had it rough, but is happy it is over!

So that was our exciting afternoon! I hope things are a liitle more dull for the rest of the day!!

16 comments:

Yoli said...

Thanking God she is okay. Sounds like a traumtic afternoon!!

Turner Girls said...

Oh Halle I am so glad that you are okay!!! It made me cry just reading about this frightening and traumatic experience. Please be careful with those gumballs sis : )

I love you,

Aunt Sherri

Mindy said...

I heard the sirens and they seemed to be close but I had no idea it was that close. I'm glad everything turned out ok!! Oh, BTW we missed you this morning, I hope your legs get feeling better!

Loyce said...

How frightening!! I am glad that all is well. I love you Halle.

Love, Grandma

Buhrmi8 said...

Halle baby... I can't believe that happened. I am glad things are okay now. Man... that must have stunk, but on the plus side you can now tell everyone of your exciting experience!

Megan Hall said...

I'm really glad that your ok Halle, Sounded like a frightening experience for all of you guys, I'm gad to hear your ok though.. no more getting gumballs stuck in your throat your way to cute to lose :)

Cori Simmons said...

How Scary! I would have called 911 also. I am so glad she is okay!

STEPHANIE said...

Glad she is ok! That would be scary! I probably would've panicked!

Lisa said...

I know I already talked to you but I'm really glad Halle's ok and so are YOU! It's always scary when you see an ambulance pull up to a neighbor's house; your first instinct is to see what you can do to help. Glad it wasn't any worse.

heidib said...

Oh my! Halle I am so glad you are ok. I miss you and love you. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. xoxoxo Aunt Heidi

Brandon and Natalie said...

How scary! I am glad everythign turned out okay.

Tanya said...

Oh my, why didn't I even hear the sirens? Well, I am really glad you had the best possible outcome and I am glad Halle is back to her happy self. I am sure you won't be having anymore gumballs in your house for awhile. We were at a dinner with some friends awhile back, and one of the guys got a big piece of meat stuck in the same place. He could breathe, but it was gagging him and he vomited several times. His wife was on the phone with 911 and they told him to drink something gross (maybe oil?) and it finally dis-lodged. Crazy!

Shauna said...

Ok I am a terrible friend, I don't think I knew about this. Glad that she is ok. She was very excited this morning to tell me she doesn't get to go to school for the rest of the week. Courtnie didn't think it was very fair

Tai Christensen said...

That is so scary!!!! Oh my gosh I am so glad Halle is okay. That same thing happend to my nephew in the car. Sooo scary!

Colett (*.*) said...

Matt came home from work that night and said "I saw ambulances in front of the Rivers house earlier today, should we call over there and see if everything is OK" I said "I read all about it on her blog, everything is fine!" Woo hoo for blogs. We are so glad sweet little Hallie is OK.

Unknown said...

Wow im glad that everything turned out fine. Poor Halle how scary that must have been for her and everyone.
LOVE YOU GUYS!!!