Saturday, September 20, 2008

Top of Utah Marathon

Several months ago, Rod told me he had "gone and done it"! He had finally signed up to run a marathon. I knew that for a few years he had been wanting to run one, but I still thought he was crazy for actually paying money to do something like that! 26.2 miles is a long way to run! Well despite a foot injury that just started bothering him last week, he got up this morning at 5am and headed off to run his very first marathon in Logan, Utah. His first 13.1 miles was his fastest ever. It took him 1 hour and 45 minutes. At mile 18 his knee really started hurting, which was caused by over-compensating to reduce the pain in his foot. Of course this slowed him down, and the last few miles were quite painful, but he finished! His time was 4 hours and 5 minutes. He was bummed that he missed 4 hours by only 5 minutes! I am simply impressed, no matter what his time. I am sure I would still be running right now if it were me!!

Rod around mile 20!

Finally done!

Chugging some chocolate milk! (The lastest craze in recovery drinks.)

He told me he wasn't feeling well, so he wanted to lie down. I was seriously worried for a while, so I just stood there watching his chest to make sure he was breathing! I was quickly reassured when he started eating his Fat Boy ice cream sandwich in this exact position!

I know he didn't feel like smiling for this shot, but no matter how tired, he certainly had something to smile about!

Way to go Rod!! You are inspiring!!



5 comments:

Buhrmi8 said...

That'pretty awesome Rodney... I am such a lazy butt, I was still in bed and I haven't even taken a shower yet... No Way I could make a Marathon! YOU'RE AWESOME!

Cindi B. said...

Wow! That is awesome. I thought my Saturday was busy, but you take the cake. Good Job Rod! That is impressive. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Mindy said...

That is great! I can't even imagine, 13 miles was long enough for me!! And running it injured too, what a trooper! Oh, and I don't think I'll be out meeting you for a run just yet, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

Yoli said...

Congratulations Rod! Our neice and her new husband are big marathon runners. Hats off to ya!

Loyce said...

I see Boston in your future.