Monday, June 23, 2008

Wasatch Back

This weekend Rod and I joined 10 of our friends and ran the Wasatch Back Relay. This is a 180 Mile relay race from Logan to Park City. The plan is that you have a team of 12 runners who divide the race up into 36 legs. Each person runs three legs each. I ran about 15 or so miles and Rod ran 21 all within 24 hours. We basically run on little food, and even less sleep. Why we think it is fun I may never know, but we've had a great time each of the three years that we have done it.

This is the first car of our team. We ran the first six legs. Rod and I had such a great time getting to know everyone better. We were so lucky to be with some of the best people running this race! (From left: Mike Kezerian, Rob and Tracy Jeffs, Me and Rod, and Jim Mosher)Rod waiting to start the race!

My first leg. It was over 80 degrees and very hot!

Tracy and Jim waiting for our runner. We did a lot of waiting!

Because Tracy hurt her ankle Rod and Mike had to pick up a few extra miles. Rod decided to take this opportunity to get a tan! Looking hot! (Literally and figuratively!)Sandy Jensen is waiting for Mike to pass her the baton so she can run her final leg. What's with the lips Sandy?!?Our car was finished running, time to pass off to our second car for the last time. We were excited to get cleaned up and rest a little. We finished the race in 29 hours. We were tired and glad to be done, but had a great time! Thanks to the members of my team for being so great and putting up with my whining! (Top row: BJ and Joni Stanely, Rod and I, Paul and Shauna Carter, Jim Mosher. Bottom row: Rob and Tracy Jeffs and Nate and Sandy Jensen. Mike had already gone home.) Rod and I all cleaned up with our medals around our necks!

Thanks goes to my sister Misty who was nice enough to babysit so we could stay Saturday night in Park City to catch up on our sleep and just relax. We stayed in a charming Bed and Breakfast called The Washington School Inn. The Jeffs and Moshers stayed too and we enjoyed a great dinner and good company.

As strange as it sounds, we had so much fun doing this race. We are already looking forward to next year!


10 comments:

STEPHANIE said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves! Your arms look buff in the picture of you running! Sandy's lips crack me up!

Cori Simmons said...

There are two groups of co-workers from Labor/Delivery who ran and their stories make me never want to attempt it. Very exhausting. I admire you.

Tanya said...

You will have to fight for a better start time next year! What a race, what a thrill. I am glad you had as much fun as we did. And hey, did you know that you get a cool Ragnar jacket when you have run for 5 years - you are almost there. We are getting a blog put together for our team, it still is getting lots of work and we are working on the big slideshow for the post-race BBQ, but I'll eventually put it on the blog. http://subprimesecuritieswasatchbackteam.blogspot.com/

Yoli said...

WOW! What a team you and Rod are! Sounded like a great time!

Jenny said...

I still don't get it Julie! It doesn't sound fun. The pictures are a little more convincing.

Kim said...

You guys always say how much fun it is every year and I know it must be the company because running in that heat is CRAZY! Now, staying in Park City is my kind of fun! Way to Go!

Colett (*.*) said...

You guys are crazy, but the company and down time sounds like fun

Hills said...

Congratulations! I would love to do that! Hopefully next year!

Heather said...

I still remember driving up the canyon this spring to go skiing and seeing you and Rod running down the canyon. I thought "Wow they're along ways from home and they ran all this way and still have to get back!" It was cool to see the two of you enjoying a hobby together. I would have joined in really, but I didn't want to interupt. HA! :) Way to Go!! The friends and completing the race looks like a lot of fun.

Palinista! said...

Now that does look like fun . . . NOT! Maybe I'm just bitter for not being invited, you know chubby people have feelings too :(.